[pmwiki-users] A question about skins

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Tue Aug 8 02:57:02 CDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 02:29:06AM +0200, Clemens Gruber wrote:
> Andrew Standfield wrote:
>
> >65 characters, or 10-15 words. When lines are longer, it takes a
> >greater amount of time for the brain to find the start of a new line
> >when your eyes snap back to the left.
> >

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to say thats a case for columns, so you can put as much parts
> as you like side by side, with a pleasing reading wide. But I can't find
> working CSS column definition in today's browsers ... and keep on
> dreaming ... ;-)
>
> A good basic approach is done by Dan Cederholm, auther of "Bulletproof
> Web Design", s.
> http://www.simplebits.com/publications/bulletproof/
>
> On this site you can switch from a fix width layout to a variable -- the
> two "kissing" triangle next the navigation. I think for some cases it's
> good to have as much space you can get, e.g. large maps, photos and so
> on. But the best approach is to let the user decide what to use, he or
> she is the real expert.

Yes, I think this last is my real issue with some of the 'limited
column width' Wiki skins.  I want to put stuff other than text on my
Wiki and, in that case, limited width is just a pointless limitation.

Maybe some way of setting a text column width inside the 'usable area'
of the Wiki would be good, i.e. one would set the maximum line length
to around 70 characters and the page generation would auto wrap at
that line length at display time.

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)