[pmwiki-users] Wikiwords and style identifiers bug and workaround

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Aug 9 18:02:00 CDT 2006

On Thursday, 10 August 2006 4:18 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 01:19:18AM -0400, Pico wrote:
>> John Rankin wrote:
>
>Yes, this is arguably a bug.  I don't have a simple fix at the moment.
>One possibility would be to say that '=' (for ids) and '#' (for colors)
>prevent the following sequence of characters from being treated as
>wikiwords.
>
>> > What happens if you "escape" the wikiword?

>> > Fromm memory, the `MyDiv will be put in a Keep and restored in time
>> > for style processing.
>>
>> It breaks every way that I have tested it:
>>  >>id='`Mydiv'<<
>>  >>id=`'Mydiv'<<
>>  >>id=`Mydiv<<
>>  >>`Mydiv<<
>>
>> I'm not sure how it works.
>
>The ` does escape the wikiword, but unfortunately the escape characters
>embedded in the string prevent the id from being recognized as a valid
>wikistyle.

I think I have another possible solution.

First, in the above examples, it has to be MyDiv as Mydiv is not a
wikiword, so ` has no effect.

Second, >>`MyDiv<< indeed does not work as one might have expected,
producing %div MyDiv apply=div%

However, the markup extensions recipe lets you escape a wikiword in
the middle: >>My`Div<< simply removes the ` after link processing,
so style processing then "just works". The above produces

>Which leaves us with the bug.  I'm still thinking that perhaps the
>best solution would be to say that a wikiword cannot immediately
>follow a '#' or '=' (and perhaps ':' as well).

Do you mean "and perhaps ';' as well"? Presumably, the following
should be valid: >>MyDiv<<, which will be &gt;&gt;MyDiv&lt;&lt;.

I don't really understand why the >>`MyDiv<< trick doesn't work.
The >>...<< markup is clearly being translated correctly and
according to wikistyles.php, it will "restore links before
applying styles". So by the time it reaches wikistyles, the
above should read %div MyDiv apply=div% and it should work as
expected. Clearly I am missing something obvious.

So in my view, the bug is that >>`MyDiv<< doesn't work the way
one might reasonably expect from the specification of `WikiWord
markup.

--
JR