[pmwiki-users] Core TOC (Was: PmWiki 2.1.12 released)

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Wed Aug 9 19:37:08 CDT 2006

Tegan Dowling wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2006 11:15:27 +1200, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 10 August 2006 9:36 AM, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
>>> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Tegan Dowling wrote:

[snip

>>> Patrick asked for some "fleshing out of the basics", so how about some
>>> discussion on what we'd like from a TOC. The basic assumption is probably
>>> that functionality should be pretty basic, and the extra stuff will go
>>> into recipes. John's TOC recipe is of course a good page now:
>>>
>>>       http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Cookbook/PageTableOfContents
>>>
>>> As for me I use John's recipe in this way >90% of the time:
>>>
>>>       (:toc:)         - Just produce a TOC
>> Same here!
>>
>> I also note Christian's modesty.
[snip]
>>> And sometimes.
>>>
>>>       (:toc Table of Contents:)       - To get a new TOC title
>>>
>>> Btw, I wouldn't be adverse to letting the syntax of the last become one of
>>> these:
>>>
>>>       (:toc title="Table of Contents":)
>>>       (:toc heading="Table of Contents":)

[snip]

>> Yes, I really need to bring the syntax into line with PmWiki 2
>> conventions. The code can also be simplified -- it should now
>> be able to insert * start of line markup instead of doing its
>> own <ol><li> thing. And that will I think make it easier to
>> add a level=n parameter, where n is the depth of toc. At the
>> moment it always does level=2.

[snip]

> What I use and value:
> I use (:*toc:) more often than (:toc:),
>
> I often specify alternative text for the TOC title, like  (:toc Table
> of Contents:)
>
> I highly value being able to create a toc on the sidebar that reflects
> the contents of the page.
>
> Wish-list items:
> I would like to be able to specify something like (:toc
> showhide=hide:) to set the default display of the toc's show/hide
> toggle.
>
> Additional levels would be wonderful - especially if I could specify
> how many, on a per-usage basis.

Note, with nested divs, Hans has moved quickly to implement multiple
level nested ShowHide divs, which are demonstrated on Cookbook/ShowHide.

Even if showhide (and ToC showhide features) do not make it into the
core, we should keep in mind their greater potential now that nested
divs are allowed and design the core ToC feature with multiple levels
that can be enhanced with a recipe that uses showhide functionality.

Pico