[pmwiki-users] Author cookies

Henrik Bechmann henrik at bechmannsoftware.com
Sat Aug 12 00:21:00 CDT 2006

Patrick,

Good points.

I presume it is fair to say, in sum: users of single user machines would
prefer in most cases to preserve the author name between sessions for
convenience; users of multi-user machines would prefer to have the
author name cleared between sessions, so as to avoid confusion as to
authorship.

Which leads to the following idea:

A checkmark beside the author name of the form, allowing the user to
determine whether to preserve the author name or not between sessions.

I myself have just run into a situation involving both: One of my entry
sites is used by multiple people, and some confusion has arisen as to
authorship, as users (naturally) don't bother entering names quite often
when one (even if not their own) is already present. Most of my entry
sites however, belong to people who work from home (including me!).
These would prefer having the author names preserved between sessions.

So the answer, as is often the case, it seems to me, is that the option
for doing it either way, as decided by individual users (not by
installation) would be most preferable.

- Henrik

Henrik Bechmann
www.osscommons.ca