[pmwiki-users] UTF8 - http headers

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Aug 13 08:33:53 CDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 01:28:07AM +0200, Tom wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i activated the utf8 script, and a german validator service
> (http://validator.de.selfhtml.org/referer) gives me a notice that the
> document is delivered with the mime-type text/html, but it is
> recommended that it should be delivered with application/xhtml+xml.
> (i use XHTML 1.1)
>
> i changed the line for now, but could someone tell me if that is XHTML
> specific, or if it could be changed in the core?
>
> Line in script:
> $HTTPHeaders[] = 'Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8';

If there's a standards doc that definitively states that the mime-type
should be application/xhtml+xml, then I can see about changing it
in the core.  (But it might also depend on the DOCTYPE -- I haven't
checked.)

Regardless, you can correct this locally without changing the core
files by adding the following line to local/config.php, after
the activation of the utf8 script:

    $HTTPHeaders[] = 'Content-type: application/xhtml+xml; charset=UTF-8';

This will then override the utf8 script's setting.