[pmwiki-users] Tell-A-Friend 3.0.0

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 18:34:51 CDT 2006

Okay, as I threatened a few days ago---I am unleashing another recipe
of chaos and destruction.

Introducing a re-written Tell-A-Friend.[1] This is version 3.0.0 due
to a significant change in the user interface and some of the key
internals. Specifically, I introduce a new email address validation
mechanism that 1) checkes for a validly formed address and 2) checks
for the email address' domain MX record. No more accidently sending to
"PwMiki.org" by mistake. Also, the form used by the visitor to tell
his friend derives from a wiki page (default: $SiteGroup.TAForm),
rather than hard-coded HTML. Finally, rather than using the PHP mail()
function, I introduce the use of a package that provides more
spam-filter friendly email. All this is discussed in greater detail in
the recipe's documentation page.

Chaos and destruction result from changing from earlier versions to
this one. As I can only test on my own site, I encourage those who use
this recipe version to let me know of any problems. I will work with
you to pound out any remaining problems.

[1]: http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/TellAFriend

--
Ben Wilson
"All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." HDT