[pmwiki-users] Sidebars per Group

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Aug 22 09:40:42 CDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 11:02:31AM +0200, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 10:51:23PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > Trying to make this totally consistent across operating systems
> > has proven to be a bit of a pain, so I'm willing to live with
> > the inconsistency, at least for the time being.  At least
> > things remain internally consistent for any given site or
> > operating system.  (There can be difficulties, however,
> > when migrating PmWiki pagefiles from a Windows platform
> > to Unix or vice-versa.)
>
> While ignoring the difficulties on sites that have the same filenames
> with different uppercase letters and not nice looking filenames...
>
> Is it otherwise problematic to simply store pages in lowercase all the
> time?

Yes, because then the only way to recover the original mixed-case
title is to actually open and read the file itself.  That turns
a simple "read the directory listing" into "read every file in
the directory".  (Example:  If the file on disk is
"PmWiki.DocumentationIndex", then I already know the title
and can turn it into a spaced title w/o any difficulty.  But
if the file is "pmwiki.documentationindex", then we actually
have to read the file or have another index somewhere in order
to find out the true name and spacing.

There's more to it than this -- any fix for case sensitivity also
needs to fix the problem of non-ascii characters in filenames.
And I think we ought to allow spaces in pagenames as well.