[pmwiki-users] Announcement: Google Map API v.2.0.0--Hot off the press

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 12:32:46 CDT 2006

On 8/23/06, Hans <hans.bracker at googlemail.com> wrote:

> This is not apparent when reading Cookbook/GoogleMapAPI.

Then, I have failed to clearly state it. Mea Culpa. Thank you for
pointing that out. I have tried to help make the markup examples stand
out, per your earlier email. I am also planning to add more on the
configuration file settings.

> But I missed reading that a point or a line is necessary.
> I assumed the map can just be shown without points or lines.

The current GMA assumes a point. In fact, it returns an error if no
points are set.

> at whatever centered location and zoom level.
> If this is not so I would really really like to have this feature,
> and be able to set mapcenter lat and mapcenter long. coordinates
> both inside the map markup and as possible default values,
> so a map can be shown without any point or line being set.
>
> > However, you're supposed
> > to be able to set the zoom level both via markup and configuration.
> > Inspecting the code, I see I left that out. I will release 2.0.1 with
> > this fix.
> >
> > There is no javascript load function. Researching the API showed no
> > need for it, and I do not recall finding an example where a load
> > function was used. The maps are self-loading.
>
> Beg to differ. There is a load function in gmaJs.js.

Don't need it, therefore don't have it. Perhaps Google added the load
function after I started tinkering with Google Maps. The javascript I
use is based on my initial foray, with edits by others who helped
bring the recipe up to Google Maps API v.2 (which is their version for
the API, not the same as this recipe).

> The variables $clat and $clon (for center latitude, center longitude)

I took out setting the center in favor of automatically centering. A
pre-release of this to another user of this recipe met with approval.
The motivation was to reduce confusion. I surmised from earlier
comments on the old interface that the old interface confused editors
and administrators. Given a choice, I would prefer this be
re-implemented in the next feature release, rather than in a bug
release. I am presently trying to root out software defects, not
missing features. However, I will look into re-implementing centering.
However, as a point is necessary to use this map API, then by placing
a point on the map produces the same effect.

--
Ben Wilson
"All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." HDT