[pmwiki-users] (:include and Attach:

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Aug 25 15:27:38 CDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 10:12:09PM +0200, EuGeNe wrote:
> Sorry to dwell on that but don't you think that when calling (:include
> all links (real links or attachments) of the included page should be
> rendered in the context of the group the included page belong too
> instead of the page including it?

This has come up a number of times, and the answer is generally the
same:  The only way I can reasonably get this to work would be
to drastically re-structure the entire markup engine internals,
in ways that would almost certainly break a ton of recipes.

And while it's tempting to think that include pages should be
always rendered in the context of their source group, there are
some features (wikistyles come to mind, but also some recipes)
where the group context of the included page is different from
the context in which it's included.

> In that respect I think when processing an include, PmWiki should render
> the included page relative to the group it originally belongs too.

Believe me, if it were easy, I'd see about doing it.  But all of the
ways I've come up with to achieve this are pretty ugly (both in
code and markup), especially if we don't want to break a lot of
existing sites and/or recipes.