[pmwiki-users] Core and question marks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Aug 27 17:11:05 CDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 03:43:36PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> I'm using the FAST Data project to automatically create  member
> Profile pages based on retrieved data using only group headers and
> footers.  Don't actually have a single profile page--but the setup is
> really sweet.
>
> The only problem is, I have profile links all over my site (other
> groups) that show up underlined, etc., because the pages they link to
> do not technically exist.  What I'd like is to be able to set things
> so any link to a profile page would show up as a regular link (no
> dotted underline, no question marks) and go to the action=browse page.

The recipe at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RemoveQuestionMark
seems to imply that the only way to get this to work is to patch the
link markup.  But there's another (possibly much better) way to achieve
this, and that might be to get the PageExists() function to "lie"
about the existence of certain pages and/or groups.

If we could get PageExists() to always return "yes" for pages
in the Category, Profiles, or other groups, then the link markup
would just do the right thing.  It also might work better for
other markups or functions that need to deal with "virtual"
pages such as these,  rather than simply putting special
exceptions throughout the rest of the code.

But, I need to think about it all a bit further before
commiting to a particular approach to handling it.

Pm