[pmwiki-users] Core and question marks

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 17:33:33 CDT 2006

--- "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> Part of me really wonders what this will do to
> (:pagelist:).
> For example, (:pagelist group=Category:) probably
> still won't find all of the "virtual" pages in the
> Category group, even though PageExists() will claim
> they exist.
>
> This probably goes back to the
> missing/orphaned/existing/all
> option for (:pagelist:) and friends, so that we
> would want to have a way to display "virtual" pages
> as well (where we find out their existence via the
> .pageindex).

Yes, I thought about this too, but I do not think that
it is the same problem.  "virtual pages" should most
likely not show up in ANY pagelisting whether it be
missing/orphaned/existing/all.  I think that these
descriptions would cover everything that would need to
show up in a pagelisting.

Here is an example to illustrate why virtual pages are
not always even orphans.  I have a group named
CategoryAllInOne which creates something akin to a
large page including all the pages in any Category.
In this case the CategoryAllInOne page does not need
to exist and it doesn't even need to be referenced
from anywhere!  I have a sidebar pagelist which
creates a link to a CategoryAllInOne page for every
existing Category page.  So the only reference to
these pages might be a dynamic one, hardly something
we could search for in a pagelist and consider an
orphan.

> Anyway, I'll probably put together a prototype of a
> revised PageExists() and run it on pmwiki.org and we

> can see what happens.  :-)

Great!

-Martin

P.S.  Speaking of Categories, I figured I'd mention
that this weekend I devised a way to make Categories
navigable as trails using the HttpVariables recipe and
pagelists (even if the Category page does not exist!)
Now I just need to figure out where to document this
in the Cookbook (it is like the DynamicWikiTrails
recipe, but it does not require patching pmwiki). :)