[pmwiki-users] Great pagelist question...

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Aug 30 12:41:45 CDT 2006

At 2006-08-30  12:11 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>  In particular, as things stand now
>we can't set properties in a page Group.XYZ with things like
>
>     Name: Patrick Michaud
>     Title: Benevolent Dictator
>     Group: PmWiki enthusiasts
>     Version: 2.0
>
>because the page variables {$Name}, {$Title}, {$Group}, {$Version},
>etc. already have a different and predefined meaning.  Having a
>separate {$:...} accessor for content-based properties avoids the
>conflict altogether:
>
>     {$Name} -> XYZ              {$:Name} -> Patrick Michaud
>     {$Group} -> Group           {$:Group} -> PmWiki Enthusiasts
>     {$Title} -> XYZ             {$:Title} -> Benevolent Dictator

All Hail the Benevolent Dictator!

Please be so benevolent as to *NOT* use the colon as the
distinguishing mark in this case. It is almost as invisible as the
leading space used to denote preformatted text.

I suspect many heads will be scratched due to a missing colon.  How
about something more visible such as:
$$Title
$_Title

or anything else that has a bit of width.

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/