[pmwiki-users] Has the 'DownloadManager' recipe has been marked "abandoned"?

IchBin weconsul at ptd.net
Thu Aug 31 18:50:29 CDT 2006

IchBin wrote:
> Ben Wilson wrote:
>> On 8/29/06, IchBin <weconsul at ptd.net> wrote:
>>> I realize that everyone is busy but just wondering if the
>>> 'DownloadManager' recipe has been marked "abandoned" or if someone has
>>> picked up support for this recipe? Patrick has mentioned these two
>>> possibilities for the demise of this recipe.
>>>
>>> I have emailed the owner a few times with no response. That recipe could
>>> not be that difficult to maintain. I would shoot the error and maintain
>>> it but I am a Java programmer just trying to absorb PHP as fast as I can.
>>>
>>> One question I have about debugging recipes. Is it possible that I could
>>> use a PHP IDE that has an interactive debugger to step thru the recipe.
>>> I have not sat down and tried to do that yet. I currently use Eclipse
>>> PHP, PHPEdit and PHP Designer products.
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me some direction or tips on debugging recipes?
>> I only use the down-and-dirty experimentation method---die statements
>> and print_r() for printing data structures. When the recipe is written
>> well they're not generally that hard to read. Of course, I only use
>> vim as an editor. Heck, I use it to write course thesises (ala TeX).
>>
>>> Also I thought that I found the documentation for say 'SDV()' or
>>> 'SDVA()' commands on the pmWiki site but can not find them now. Could
>>> some one point me to where I can find these pmWiki commands?
>> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Functions. Essentially, SDV() will
>> only assign a value to a global variable if that variable has not
>> already been set. Thus, the local configuration can set the variable
>> _before_ PmWiki, and PmWiki will not clobber that setting. SDV() also
>> works with associative arrays on a key-by-key basis. This allows you
>> to set only one key of an array locally, and let PmWiki (or a recipe)
>> set the remainder.
>>
>>> Since moving some of my website from a JSP\Server base to pmWiki I can
>>> not release my code for download until I have some way to trap download
>>> information. Is their any other paths I could take say like AWStats?
>> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/VisitorsLogging
>>
>> I use this in an course outline bank to track downloads of outlines.
>> It lists page views, downloads, etc. I think another recipe has
>> superceded it, but I'm not immediately aware of it.
>>

> Thanks Ben for responding to my questions. I did find and installed
> VisitorsLogging. The newer branch does the same but updates a wiki page.
> I installed that one also just to run locally for a while. It's called
> Action Log.
>
> I still do not see my downloads in either the logfiles or wiki page.
> Another one I would rather have running is TotalCounter. I installed and
> start the wiki and starts with a blank screen. As it turns out the same
> person who wrote downloadman, so their goes another recipe.

Well using a PHP interactive debugger has help me out tremendously. I
should have spent time with it before now. I had three recipes I could
not get to work and they are now working for me. I still have to go back
and check the Downloadman. Learning little by little.

--
Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA              http://weconsultants.phpnet.us