[pmwiki-users] zap modules questions

The Editor editor at fast.st
Fri Dec 15 08:20:50 CST 2006

Greetings list,

As some of you may know, I've been doing a pretty significant rewrite
of the zap code to make it a bit more flexible and secure, and to
accommodate the requests of various individuals.  I'm also hoping to
simplify the syntax so zap will take less of a learning curve (sorry
it is so complicated!).  In the process I've been thinking some about
how the zap modules work.

Currently, the various commands and features in zap are scattered
throughout several modules.  Parts of those modules are more
experimental, others work fine.  Some parts have useful features,
others less so.  I'm considering taking the more stable, useful
features and adding them back into zap, and leave the experimental
portions to modules for development at a later time.  Does anyone have
any preferences for module features that should come prepacked in the
basic zap install?

My tentative plan at this point:

zap (main module)
* add basic email (from zapmail)
* add create/destroy/rename pages (from zapfiles).
* add upload command?

zaplogin
* a new module for login and new member registration commands

zapmail
* maillists, and newsletters

zaplog
* rename from zapfiles and use for logging function

zapcart
* keep as is

zapchat
* keep as is

zaparchives
* deprecated zap commands

zapdemo
* template for building your own module.

The idea behind this shift, is I'd like for most users to only have to
download one script.

I could also create a zaplite module with a heavily stripped down
version of zap without any extra markups, conditionals, and a bare
minimum of commands, just for those who want basic data saving
capability--though it's a bit hard to define which commands are a bare
minimum...  (I tried this once before but found it a bit hard to keep
both versions of zap updated).

Also, I've simply eliminated about a half dozen commands where they
could be better handled by markup and/or conditionals.  Hope to have a
beta out very soon, later today maybe, though updating the
documentation will take longer...

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers,
Dan