[pmwiki-users] A skin is changing $LinkPageSelfFmt

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Dec 15 19:00:21 CST 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 09:18:28PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> PmWiki sets $LinkPageSelfFmt not as a SDV variable, so any recipe or
> skin needing/wanting to change this can't use SDV either.
> [...] I think it should become a SDV variable, and all recipes wishing
> to set it would use SDV as well, and then an admin can set
> it in config.php if she/he wishes.

Unfortunately there's traditionally been a catch-22 here.  In order
for $LinkPageSelfFmt to become set via SDV, PmWiki has to make
any default setting for $LinkPageSelfFmt _after_ all customizations
are performed.

But there are some recipes and customizations that rely on
$LinkPageSelfFmt already being set at the time the recipe is
run.  (This would be true for any recipe that starts calling
the markup/link processor.)

I've thought about making the $LinkPage...Fmt be set within
the LinkPage() function, but that function is slow enough already
without adding four or five more SDV() calls to each execution.

Still, we're in 2.2.0-beta, so if we wanted to move
the $LinkPage...Fmt variables below local configuration
and set them to be SDV, now would be the time.