[pmwiki-users] secure farms (getting lost in compromises)

J. Meijer commentgg at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 16 20:59:07 CST 2006

Hi, I suppose this is a subject many have problems with. For those who don't want to open up their wiki.d to the public, the question is how to install? It seems to me there is no satisfactory solution as various users did their thing but got criticised. I remember Patrick declaring once he'd publish his setup, but ever since, and especially this week he's desparately without time. I'd like some preferred, secure and workable solution. Even the default install of a single wiki in my opinion is no longer up-to-date.

After giving the matter some thought my preferred solution (induced by Ben Wilsons FarmAlternative) is like this. I have a personal root-folder which I'll abbreviate with just a hyphen ('-') and it already contains a public_html public folder. So these are the folders I'd like and which I consider the simplest setup:

 -     # personal root folder

 -/pmwiki-2.1.9   # a specific version of pmwiki, untarred
 -/pmwiki-2.2.0   # a specific version of pmwiki, untarred, most recent

 -/wiki         # the folder containing all fields data and includes a shared field:

 -/wiki/shared   # shared field containing all farm stuff, except the code (scripts) and the pub files:
 -/wiki/shared/local        # farm config
 -/wiki/shared/wiki.d       # shared content for all wikis
 -/wiki/shared/cookbook  # my precious shared farm scripts

 -/wiki/mysite           # first field
 -/wiki/mysite/local        # field config
 -/wiki/mysite/wiki.d       # field pages
 -/wiki/mysite/cookbook  # not needed in most sites

 -/wiki/mysite2   #  idem for second field

 -/public_html   # personal web accessible folder
 -/public_html/shared       # farm & shared pub stuff goes here
 -/public_html/myfield        # mysite has its pub folders (skins etc) here, and an index.php
 -/public_html/myfield2       # mysite2 idem

Index.php in the public field folders redirect to -/wiki/version.php. This file sets up the the farm and 'exits into' pmwiki.php.

This setup will work identically on Windows, allowing me to test things on the legacy operating system.

Symlinks could be used by those interested in them.

Seems simple enough, but I can't get it to work. I'm no security nor Linux expert, but I have seen nothing better.

Does anyone support the thesis?

Thanks,

/jm