[pmwiki-users] trouble installing pmwiki on sourceforge account

dave crane dave at cranefamily.force9.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 15:09:23 CST 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to install pmwiki onto a sourceforge project account, and have hit
some problems. I wonder if anyone else has any experience with this (I've seen
svagg.sf.net uses PmWiki, I guess there are others too). I've installed pmwiki
elsewhere several times, and I love it, but the SF shell is giving me unexpected
problems.

I'm following the instructions from http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/Installation

I tried setting the sticky bit i.e. chmod 2777 on the wiki directory, like so:

$ cd htdocs/pmwiki
$ chmod 2777 .
$ ls -l .. | grep wiki
drwxrwsrwx 7 dave ajax-in-action  4096 Feb 1 12:59 pmwiki

which gives me this error message:

===============
Warning: mkdir(wiki.d): Read-only file system in
/home/groups/a/aj/ajax-in-action/htdocs/pmwiki/pmwiki.php on line 366
PmWiki can't process your request

PmWiki needs to have a writable wiki.d/ directory before it can continue. You can
create the directory manually by executing the following commands on your server:

    mkdir /home/groups/a/aj/ajax-in-action/htdocs/pmwiki/wiki.d
    chmod 777 /home/groups/a/aj/ajax-in-action/htdocs/pmwiki/wiki.d

Then, reload this page.

Or, for a slightly more secure installation, try executing

    chmod 2777 /home/groups/a/aj/ajax-in-action/htdocs/pmwiki

on your server and following this link. Afterwards you can restore the
permissions to their current setting by executing

    chmod 2777 /home/groups/a/aj/ajax-in-action/htdocs/pmwiki

.

We are sorry for any inconvenience.
===========

So, I try making the wiki.d directory manually, and opening it up to everyone
(although I don't think that's a great idea on a shared host like SF):

$ chmod 777 .
$ mkdir wiki.d
$ chmod 777 wiki.d
$ ls -l | grep wiki.d
drwxrwxrwx  2 ulunum users  4096 Feb 1 13:04 wiki.d

('ulunum' is my SF account name from several years back)

This time, I get a different error message:

===============
Warning: fopen(wiki.d/.flock): failed to open stream: Read-only file system in
/home/groups/a/aj/ajax-in-action/htdocs/pmwiki/pmwiki.php on line 348
PmWiki can't process your request

Cannot acquire lockfile

We are sorry for any inconvenience.

I've tried chown-ing the wiki.d to nobody, but can't do that under the SF shell
account. So, what am I missing? Presumably something simple! Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Dave