[pmwiki-users] "roles" or "authorization groups" (was password questions)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 1 15:56:32 CST 2006

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 02:47:45PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2006-01-27  11:55 PM -0500, Waylan Limberg is rumored to have said:
> >I think you may be on to something here. User groups or wiki groups?
> >Half the time I can't tell what people are talking about. If we can
> >keep things down to only one kind of group, that would help.
>
> I think the term "groups" used for authorization comes from Apache
> password groups.

Oh, the word "group" is used many other places besides Apache.

In the Unix world we've always had "groups" (defined in the
/etc/group file), and even in the Windows environment one defines
"groups" of users such as "Administrators", "Power Users", "Guests", etc.

> But in the context of PmWiki, I would prefer to use "roles". Just not
> sure what the docs would look like explaining how to use .htgroup,
> should that ever be possible.
>
> The other alternative would be to rigorously use "authorization
> group" or "wiki group" where appropriate.

I'm thinking "authorization group", long as it is, may be the right
way to go, at least initially.  "Roles" isn't precisely correct.