[pmwiki-users] Publish PDF beta 9 released -- final beta

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Feb 1 21:53:03 CST 2006

I have uploaded a new wikipublisher library and new documentation.
This recipe composes one or more PmWiki pages int o PDF, laid out
for printing. See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PublishPDF

Contents:
- In this release
- Server side coming soon
- PmWiki mashups

In this release
===============
This release changes the print XML DTD among other things, so it's
a recommended upgrade. We hope it will be the final beta before
releasing a "stable" version. We plan to release the server side
software shortly.

The latest release notes are at:
http://www.wikipublisher.org/wiki/index.php?n=ReleaseLog.20060202

For an introduction, see:
http://www.wikipublisher.org/wiki/index.php?n=Wikipublisher.BasicFeatures
(a pdf of this page is on Cookbook/PublishPDF)

The key new features are:

- simple tables with class=long are formatted across multiple pages

  if the first row of the table is headings (ie ||!column header ||),
  this is used as a running head at the top of each page

- headings on trail pages are used to define the print document's
  main sections (eg TextFormattingRules page)

- various minor improvements and bug fixes

Server side coming soon
=======================
Those wanting to install the server side, so you can use it behind
a firewall, watch this space.

We have still only tested it with PmWiki 2.0.13, but don't see any
reasons why the 2.1 changes will have a major adverse impact.
However, those running a more recent version may want to test this.

A couple of volunteers to act as trailblazers to test a server-side
install might like to contact me!

PmWiki mashups
==============
Finally, we now support "pmwiki mashups" -- if...

- you want to test the pdf generation against your wiki, and

- your wiki is visible to the world, and

- you have ?action=source enabled (the default), but

- you don't want to install the wikipublisher library, then

we can provide a way to view one group of your wiki through
the wikipublisher.org site, giving you access to the site's
pdf generation capabilities -- no change is required to your
site, although any non-standard markups will be ignored

Contact me if you'd like to try this.

Questions or comments welcome.

--
JR