[pmwiki-users] Attach: Syntax and the Default Upload Quick Reference

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 4 13:31:30 CST 2006

On 2/3/06, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> At 2006-02-03  03:45 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >If we're assuming javascript, then a simpler approach is probably to
> >place all of this useful behavior on to the existing "Attach file"
> >button in the edit form.  So then the sequence would be:
> >
> >    - Author presses "Attach file" in the button bar
> >    - A window pops up showing the list of available attachments for
> >      the page (perhaps with navigational elements to find attachments
> >      for other pages or groups)
> >    - Selects the file to be attached
> >    - The javascript then inserts "Attach:author_selection.txt" directly into
> >      the edit page at the current cursor position.
>
> Yes, please! I'll take two with extra sprinkles. This reduces the
> instructions to "use the button" in all cases.

I agree.  That would be a great addition.

This might go without saying, but it should degrade gracefully.  By
assuming JavaScript you'll leave a few authors without the useful
behavior.

For example, some people use a Firefox extension called NoScript,
which establishes a "deny a site unless it's explicitly allowed"
JavaScript policy.  I suspect the popularity of the NoScript extension
is on the rise.  (If not, it should be.  :-)  )

Regardless of what happens to the edit page, the text in the rectangle
on the QuickReference could use some improvement.

Hagan