[pmwiki-users] formatting, indent

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Feb 9 19:16:12 CST 2006

On Friday, 10 February 2006 12:51 PM, H. Fox <haganfox at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>I think that depends on what this would mean
>
>    +Bork bork bork bork... bork.
>    +Borkbork bork... bork.
>    +Bork bork bork.
>
>If, instead of a multiparagraph, + at the beginning of a line were to
>mean a "book-formatted paragraph" that would make more sense.
>
>(By "book-formatted paragraph" I mean a paragraph that's indented.  If
>it follows another paragraph there's no empty line between
>them.)

Well, yes, but...

A more general approach would be to define it as a specially-
classed paragraph, perhaps class='book', with a default
presentation, perhaps indented, but not specify the formatting
as part of the markup's definition. This allows the paragraph
to be presented differently in different contexts, if desired.

<snip>

>So your others would be
>
>> * Bork bork bork
>> +Borkbork bork ... bork.
>
>An unordered-list item followed by a book-formatted paragraph.

So in this example

# Bork bork bork
+Borkbork bork
# and bork
+ Bork bork bork.

both list items would be numbered 1? or is the second
one numbered 2?

<snip>

>> * Bork bork bork
>>   Borkbork bork ... bork.
>
>A continued list item.  Equivalent to
>
>* Bork bork bork Borkbork bork ... bork.

Not as I understand the new spaced text markup --
I think it's

But I could be wrong; it's hard to keep up.

>> :Borkbork:blech blech blech
>>           Borkbork bork ... bork.
>
>A term and definition, followed by some preformatted text
>
>Borkbork
><definition padding>blech blech blech
>          Borkbork bork ... bork.
>
>where the XHTML for that last line is
>
><pre>          Borkbork bork ... bork.</pre>

again, not as I understand the new spaced text markup --
I think it's
<dd>Borkbork bork ... bork.</dd>

>> It doesn't seem quite right that
>>
>> +Borkbork bork ... bork.
>>
>> is only meaningful in the context of a multiparagraph.
>
>Agreed.  I don't think PmWiki needs to support multiparagraphs.

I was more meaning that +start of line markup gives you
multiparagraphs for free. And wanted to explore whether
pmwiki should treat +start of line the same way in all
cases, ie

Stuff
+more stuff and

#Stuff
+more stuff

Your answer is yes it should; mine is I don't know.
I think it should remain a local customisation for now.

John

--
JR