[pmwiki-users] Quick/easy way to check if page is passwd protected?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 12 09:45:27 CST 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 04:28:57PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Ben Wilson wrote:
> > I have a script that allows me to edit PmWiki pages without using a web
> > browser. However, since some pages may be read or edit protected. Right
> > now, every time I go to a site, I send the authentication information,
> > even if it is not needed, because I have no way to determine if
> > authentication is needed.
>
> Going on a tangent here, I wonder if it'd make sense for me to adapt
> pmwiki-mode in Emacs to use the same script. The advantage would be to
> have a single mechanism to access a page rather than both of us
> implementing the same thing twice. In addition, this script then of course
> works with arbitrary editors.

This is a good idea.

> PS. There's also something called 'libCurl' for use with programs.

In fact, I just noticed that libCurl is built-in to PHP on my site.
I wonder how many PHP installations have libCurl already built-in?
If it's fairly common, then it ought to be relatively easy for us
to create a command-line PHP script that can grab page text and
post edits (and handle passwords appropriately).