[pmwiki-users] invisible/visible text

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 12 15:57:09 CST 2006

On 2/11/06, Pico <pmwiki at ben-amotz.com> wrote:
> I have been playing around with this same idea of expanding
> and collapsing text.
>
> To test it out I started with ConditionalMarkup and ViewModes,
> because I don't (yet) know enough to do any of this from scratch.
>
> My test page is at ViewModes/Nested Text.
> http://pmwiki.org/wiki/ViewModes/NestedText

Nice job.  It has a lot of potential.

For example, I've seen FAQ pages where all of the questions are
listed, and clicking on a question "expands" its answer.  A giant page
of information can be compacted into something less intimidating that
way.

Requiring a server request to read the "hidden" content isn't
necessarily bad.  For one thing, it provides feedback in the logs
about which content is being sought.

> What you are talking about here would be much better
> than using ConditionalMarkup and defining new variables
> and conditions, because it can address the issues of
> selective expansion and maintaining the prior location in the page.

Maybe using #anchors could help with that, at least to some extent.

Hagan