[pmwiki-users] Quick way to automatically set %item value=<n>%

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 01:18:04 CST 2006

Hi

I'd like to bring up two things, so I'll start with the slightly unrelated
issue first :-)

The first issue: When I was trying to figure out how make an enumerated
list start with a specific number I had some problems locating this
markup. Does anyone have an idea of a suitable place to add some (more)
documentation of this markup:

	# %item value=<n>% Bla bla .. this is item ''n''

What I was really doing was trying to make a list like this:

	# Bla bla .. item 1 ... insert the command
	--> [@
	ls ..
	@]
	-> and then the command
	--> [@
	ls ...
	@]
	# Bla bla ... item 2

However, '->' cancels the enumeration count so I instead end up doing

	# Bla bla .. item 1 ... insert the command
	--> [@
	ls ..
	@]
	-> and then the command
	--> [@
	ls ...
	@]
	# %item value=2% Bla bla ... item 2

See http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/ManuallySetEnumeratedLists for an
illustration. Perhaps we don't want '->' to reset the enumeration?

The second issue: It's error prone to write '%item value=<n>% all the time
because you manually have to track the number and change it if inserting
an item above. How about making this slightly smarter, what if this
markup:

	# %item value=#% Bla bla .. this item is nr=previous item + 1

would work instead. I imagine that implementation should be as simple as
the '#'-markup keeping an array of numbers indicating the current number
at the current entry. '%item value=#%' would then set the current number
according to $CurrentItem[$itemLevel], while incrementing it.

cheers
/Christian