[pmwiki-users] Speedy search?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Feb 17 13:40:59 CST 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 11:25:41AM -0800, dan wrote:
> fwiw: would some sort of cache make sense here?  is there enough repetition
> for it to make a significant difference in typical usage?  is it workable?

Heh, I was just thinking about a cache myself... :-)  Perhaps we
could add a cache= option to pagelist, which allows an author to
specify a name under which the resulting output is to be cached.
(The cache is then invalidated by any page update.)

One of the problems with a cache is that it's mutually exclusive
with $EnablePageListProtect, unless we assume that read-protected
pages will never appear in the output (even if the person is
authorized to read them), or don't cache any results that have
read-protected pages.

Indeed, this is the generic problem with any sort of caching in
PmWiki -- pages can be dynamic depending on the identity of the
visitor.  I keep brainstorming ideas about good ways to achieve
caching, but so far nothing great has appeared.

On a related note, I'm really desirous of having a standard directory
(other than wiki.d/ itself, although it could be a subdirectory of
wiki.d/) where cache files, index files, and other working files
could be safely kept.