[pmwiki-users] Proposed Default Stylesheet (pmwiki.css)

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 18 19:29:44 CST 2006

On 2/17/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 06:14:01PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > It's the same thing that happens with
> >
> > !!Heading
> > !! Heading
> > !!  Heading
> > !!   Heading
> >
> > Where the first two result in identical XHTML output and the other two
> > have one and two leading spaces in the heading text respectively.
>
> This is the best argument I've heard in favor of eating the newlines
> following headings.  I might be able to swallow it now.  :-)

I hope so. It would keep the difference from being lost on authors,
since there would be no difference.  :-)

"Double-newline adds space" makes sense, too.

> > That, combined with automatically adding newlines above/below heading
> > upon saving would be fantastic.
>
> I'm generally against automatic changes to the markup itself.
> Since the author directly works with the markup, he/she will typically
> already have it in its easiest-to-understand form.

That's reasonable.  Never mind this part.

> > and that would result in markup that doesn't include a "vspace
> > paragraph" above or below the H2 heading.  If someone wants to add a
> > little extra vspace, they could add an extra newline.
>
> Unfortunately, the way things are currently structured it's not really
> that trivial to get a heading to eat exactly one newline (actually,
> <:vspace>) that follows.  But I guess I could come up with something.
>
> If we're eating newlines that follow a heading, do we have to eat
> the newlines beforehand as well?

Good question.  It probably depends on whether you think having no
newline above a header is rare enough that it doesn't need special
treatment.  (I tend to put *two* blank lines above headings.  It makes
it easier to find sections of the document when editing.)

Hagan