[pmwiki-users] Links to nothing changes cause side effect

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 21 13:19:07 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:01:22PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Tuesday, February 21, 2006, 6:43:49 PM, Patrick wrote:
> >> Before the change they were all class='wikilink'.
> >>
> >> [[{$Name}?setskin=...]]  -> html <a class='selflink' ....>
> >> [[{$Name}?action=set&setskin=...]]  -> html <a class='wikilink' ....>
> >>
> >> This seems strange.
>
> > I agree the behavior is now strange -- I'll fix it.  There is a
> > question as to what it should be changed to...  should both of the
> > above be class='selflink' or class='wikilink'?  I can argue it
> > both ways.
>
> To me it is not a selflink in the normal manner of linking to the
> page, since it is a link to induce a certain page change or action.
> So i would like to argue that it may be classed differently, as
> class='actionlink' perhaps, or class='actionlink wikilink' to add a
> special actionlink class, and revert to the wikilink class if it is
> not defined.

'actionlink' is probably the wrong name -- what you're really
describing is a special link format for links that have any
form of query string after them.  So, perhaps 'querylink'.

Then we might need to handle the case of links to non-existing
pages with query arguments versus links to existing pages with
query arguments... (sigh) it all starts to sound overly
complex to me, especially for what we're trying to solve.

Maybe I'll just restore the beta25 behavior for now until we
understand the problem better.  I thought this change was a
relatively minor one, but that doesn't appear to be the case.