[pmwiki-users] Burnt! Simultaneous edit lost :-(

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Mon Feb 27 04:19:22 CST 2006

>> I was editing a page.  A bug list... one of my editors was testing
>> the same app and opened the wiki to the same page I had already
>> opened... he proceed to write quite a lot of observations in the edit
>> window... when he clicked "Save" he was informed that the page was
>> already being edited,  that his input would be merged and he could
>> look at changes.
>>
>> *but his edit field was blank!* all his input lost and the changes
>> list did not show his most recent input.

> Yes, this is a known bug -- I just haven't had a good opportunity
> to fix it yet.  Send my sincere apologies to your editor for this one.
>
> In the meantime, you might look at installing the
> Cookbook.SimuleditWithoutPopen recipe -- I hope to
> incorporate it (or something like it) into the core someday.

I would like to point you all to a thread I started some time ago,
which had no follow-ups:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/20479/match=
("Just ask it again", wrote Pm, so here I am :-)

I believe that a collaborating environment like te one described here
above (and many others, indeed) could often take advantage from
PresenceAwarenessLight.
The "bad" thing is that it works only on UserAuth, which is not the
default choice.

PresenceAwarenessLight most often could also avoid concurrent updates.

If anybody of you, readers, happens to know php (I don't, myself) it
could maybe be a good move to try and port PresenceAwarenessLight to
AuthUser.

And, indirectly, AuthUser would benefit: as for myself (just an
instance) I will otherwise have to switch from AuthUser to UserAuth
just to let PresenceAwarenessLight run.

Thank you
Luigi