[pmwiki-users] pagename and weird IE mime/type handling

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 28 17:00:18 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:47:56PM +0100, Dominique Faure wrote:
> I tried several things including temporaly altering $ScriptUrl and
> $EnablePathInfo in order to generate links like:
> .../pmwiki.php/dummy.txt?n=Group.Name&...
>
> but IE was keeping on interpreting html snippets as html code.

Oh.  IE is particularly stupid in this respect -- it will
often treat the presence of *any* HTML tag in a file as a reason to
render it as HTML, regardless of both extension and mime-type.

For example, point IE6 at the url http://www.pmichaud.com/sandbox/test.txt
and look at the results.  (This is just the pmwiki.tmpl file from the
skins directory with a different name.)

Note that this file has a ".txt" extension.  Apache correctly returns
the file as "Content-Type: text/plain".  Yet IE6 still insists on
displaying the file as if it were an HTML document and not a plain
text file.

I don't think there's much that can be done in the face of IE
blatantly ignoring the protocol standards in this way.

Hope this helps, or at least keeps you from banging your head
against a wall any longer than necessary.