[pmwiki-users] INSTALL.txt and UPGRADE.txt

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 2 10:44:36 CST 2006

On 1/2/06, Han Baas <hanbb at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hagan wrote:
>
> > 3) You may see an error message saying that PmWiki needs to have
> >    a writable wiki.d/ directory.  If so, follow the directions to
> >    establish one.
>
> Why is PmWiki distributed without wiki.d/ directory?

Because for ideal writable permissions the script will need to create
the directory.

> Or alternatively: can PmWiki create the directory if it doesn't exist?

Yes, that's how it works now when you follow the instructions"for a
slightly more secure installation".

Here's the rub:  By default the server typically cannot write files.
The administrator needs to change permissions (to 2777) on the
directory immediately before the PmWiki creates the directory and (to
755) after the wiki.d/ directory is created.

> > 4) Create an index.php file that contains the following single line
> >    (with no closing "?>" on purpose):
> >
> > <?php include('pmwiki.php');
>
> Where should this go?

Good point.  To me there are two reasons it's self-evident (because
it's an index file and because it include()s a pmwiki.php script
that's in the same directory), but that wouldn't necessarily be so for
everyone in the target audience.

Does this get the job done?:

4) In the main directory, create an index.php file that contains the
   following single line (with no closing "?>" on purpose):

<?php include('pmwiki.php');

Step #4 is completely optional, but I personally would have
appreciated knowing it from the start.  Maybe that's just me though.
Should it even be in there at all?

> > 5) Copy the sample configuration file from docs/sample-config.php to
> >    local/config.php and edit it to suit your preferences.
>
> Text suggestion: Copy the sample configuration file from docs/sample-
> config.php to
> the local/ subdirectory.
> Rename the file to: config.php.
> Then edit it to suit your preferences

Another good suggestion.  I also notice that #5 was the only step
where the purpose (establishing a new local configuration file) was
not necessarily obvious.

How about

5) Configuration settings will go in a local/config.php file.  There's
   a well-commented sample configuration file in the docs/ subdirectory.
   Copy the sample configuration file from docs/sample-config.php to the
   local/ subdirectory, then rename the copy to config.php.  Edit
   your new local/config.php to suit your preferences.

or maybe

5) Sitewide configuration settings will go in a "local configuration
   file" called local/config.php.  There's a well-commented sample
   available in the docs/ subdirectory.  Copy the sample configuration
   file from docs/sample-config.php to the local/ subdirectory, then
   rename the copy to config.php.  Edit your new local/config.php file
   to suit your preferences.

I pasted a copy of the INSTALL.txt draft here:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/READMEAndDocsDir#install

Hagan