[pmwiki-users] Database backend

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 9 13:50:07 CST 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 01:00:20AM -0500, GravyFace wrote:
> On 1/8/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, it's been done (and is relatively easy to do),
>
> Any examples anywhere?  I'm sure it is simple but I'd rather not
> reinvent the wheel if I can help it.

I'll see if I can dig up the prototype MySQL backend that
someone contributed a couple of months ago.

> > but the big question is what do you want from a database backend that
> > the flat file storage isn't providing...?
>
> Approval for the project :)  Apparently a database backend is a
> "must".  I'd love to leave it as-is but my hands are tied.

Ick.  I can understand that.  If it helps at all, see
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FlatFileAdvantages for reasons
why PmWiki doesn't use a database backend.  :-)

But I'll still see if I can dig up the MySQL backend and what
(if anything) it might require to get things to work nicely.

> By the way, love the app -- couldn't believe how elegant and simple it is.

Thanks!