[pmwiki-users] AuthUser/mySQL Feature (prefer alternative) . . .

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 11:31:31 CST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:23:44AM -0600, Ben Wilson wrote:

> I should give that a try and see if they buy off on it. Although, I
> can almost guarantee their response will be along the lines of "why
> can't I just do this all in one place?" Using Site.AU requires
> accessing "?action=crypt" and then editing a page. Having the recipe
> helps cut the steps. If groups could be administered via it as well
> (i.e., have a user and list his groups after his name), then it would
> virtually be one-stop shopping.

This can already be done in Site.AuthUser:

    alice: @editors <encrypted_password>
    bob: @admins <encrypted_password>
    charlie: <encrypted_password>

It's been proposed (but not yet implemented) that "(:crypt xyz:)"
become a replace-on-save pattern.  Thus, the admin would then
be able to do something as simple as:

    alice: @editors (:crypt alice_password:)

and when the page is saved it would become

    alice: @editors $1$Xf7RfuOP$yTBWMaHCM29JMBN3jVd./0

If this would be of big help, I'll add it for beta20.  I can
even probably give the (:crypt:) recipe as a local customization
if beta20 won't be out soon enough for you.