[pmwiki-users] Blog proposal

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Wed Jan 11 11:59:38 CST 2006

> But the idea of making it easier to create trails has lots of
> merit.  But I'm wondering if this means that the generic form of
> trails becomes the new way to handle categories as well -- i.e.,
> a page with category markup automatically adds itself to the
> corresponding category trail.

  This is an intriguing idea.  Would it also create any such
Category pages if they don't exist?  I guess this
effectively would put the indexes directy on the category
pages.  I think I like it.  I know a similar idea was tossed
around a long time ago, but this sounds slightly different
than the old ideas and probably simpler.

  Along the line of indexes,  from the changelog, it looks
like you removed the trail prev and next pages from pages on
a trail. This is something that I requested, but I am
curious now as to how it worked and what specifically made
you decide to remove them?

  Suppose we had a trail with pages A B C D E and F in order
on it. I assume that when editing page C, its internal prev
and next link properties were updated to have B and D on
it.  But what about when the trail page itself changed?  If
it were altered to now contain  A C E only, would pages A B
C D and E all get their link properties updated?  That might
be a lot of work, but it would seem like the proper way if
such link indexing were to be used reliably.  Of course, I
think that this still might not play nicely with dynamic
wiki trails, did it work well when wikitrails were in group
headers and footers?

  My big aversion to indexes though, still has to do with
giving up the external management simplicity of flat files.
One way that I might feel less impeeded by any such schemes
would be if there were a way to call pmwiki externally from
a shell with a pagename and have it update everything that
is needed for that page.  So, say I modified the content of
page A, I could from a shell type pmwiki.php -u A and it
would set any attributes, indexes etc. on page A as needed,
but it would also set any indexes on other pages that may be
affected by A (if there still are any such relationships).

  -Martin