[pmwiki-users] 'title' attribute of an HTML link

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 12:47:52 CST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:38:42PM -0500, Waylan Limberg wrote:
> On 1/11/06, Jean DEMARTINI <jean.d.demartini at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> I concur. If only we could then use:
>
>        [[some page "+"]]
>
> to generate a 'title' which uses the page's 'title'.  Huh? ;-)

One could do [[some page "{SomePage$Title}"]] but admittedly
that's messy :-).  I'll see if I can get the "+" to work.
But ultimately this would mean that

    [[some page "+"|+]]

creates a link to SomePage using SomePage's (:title:) as both
the link text and the value of the title="" attribute.

> > Does anyone know if there's an issue with creating empty title=
> > attributes in links?  In other words, do browsers have an issue
> > with something like:

> Non that I am aware of. I believe I've even used links like that in
> mock-ups before with no ill effects. However, what effect does this
> have on html validation?

It's valid HTML, I was just concerned that a browser might take this
as intending the display of an empty tooltip.

> As an aside, perhaps all internal links could default to use
> $Titlespaced for the title attribute unless otherwise specified.
> [...] >  And it's possable that some would
> be resistant to having a title attribute in every link (although I
> have no idea why).

I'm *very* resistant to it.  I recently visited a very annoying web
site in which entire paragraphs were treated as links with title=
attributes; as a result, tooltips were constantly appearing over
the very text I was trying to read.  I would personally find it
annoying.

But for those who want it, the ability to add the title= attribute
to page links already exists, via something like:

    $LinkPageExistsFmt =
      "<a class='wikilink' href='\$LinkUrl' title='{\$Title}'>\$LinkText</a>";