[pmwiki-users] Advanced tables - (:caption <attributes>:) xxxxxxxxxxx

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 13:01:12 CST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 07:25:03PM +0100, Jean DEMARTINI wrote:
> After playing with simple tables and the possibility to define a
> caption, it was necessary to switch to advanced tables and then I begin
> to believe that it could be great to define an advanced table like this:
>
> (:table <attributes>:)
> (:caption <attributes>:) blah blah blah
> (:cellnr <attributes>:) xxxx
> (:tableend:)
>
> I have tried to modify the cells function but as it is an in-core
> modification I fear some nasty interferences, then I prefer to launch a
> request.

I think we can add (:caption:), although I think it ought to be
(:tablecaption:) in case we end up with other types of captions.

I also had a very good conversation with John Bittner last week,
and he's proposed a third table syntax, such that single brackets
at the beginning of lines indicate new cells -- thus

    (:cellnr class=red:)foo
    (:cell class=blue:)bar
    (:cell:)baz
    (:cellnr:)bash

becomes something like

    --------------
    [red ]foo
    [blue]bar
    [    ]baz
    [    ]bash

I'm not fond of using the square brackets for this (I think it
can be too easily confused with links, or might occur in normal
text), but it does occur to me that it might be nice to have an
easy way to extend the simple table syntax so that tables
can be easily written across multiple markup lines but still
retain the shorter markup offerred by SimpleTables.