[pmwiki-users] Blog proposal

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 17:00:22 CST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:51:19PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> > So even explicitly adding the link is unnecessary. Think of the case
> > when you for whatever reason must delete a blog entry. In your setup,
> > you must find references to it in a number of trails, such as MyBlog,
> > 2006, 2006-01, etc. In my case, I just remove it from MyBlog and it
> > automatically disappears from the listings on the yearly, monthly etc,
> > pages.
>
> Good point. Removing the traces of a blog post will be harder than
> removing the post, unless we have special tools which do this
> automatically. Having just one master blog trail page will make it
> easier. But it puts added performance strains on the system, since you
> rely on pagelist filtering and sorting for all views, lists etc of
> blog pages.

I should mention that processing trails with (:pagelist:)
is generally much less strain than having to filter all of the
pages in a site or group.  The difference is that we can
quickly identify all of the pages on a trail by reading a single
page (the trail index), whereas finding all of the pages
in a group or site requires walking through all of the wiki.d/,
wikilib.d/, and shared directories that might exist.