[pmwiki-users] 'title' attribute of an HTML link

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 23:13:12 CST 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 07:59:26PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> > Ok, now I'm lost...
> >
> > Was the idea of using something like this discarded earlier:
> >
> > 	[[some page title="Title of the link"]]
>
> As far as I know, that's not been proposed--or at least I don't
> recall seeing it.  It's not a bad idea, however.
>
> Since I started developing 2.0 (in summer 2004!), the syntax for
> title attributes that I've been aiming for is something like
>
>       [[some page "Title of the link"]]
>
> which matches the alt/title syntax used on images
>
>       Attach:image.png"Image title"

To be honest, I think

 	[[some page title="Title of the link"]]

looks much more readable/understandable. As for the alt/title syntax, I
think you could argue that if it were a link, it's not too much to require
double-brackets when you want extra features.  (OTOH, I can see why it's
tempting to encourage users to supply an alt-text). Still... the meaning
of

       Attach:image.png"Image title"

isn't very "obvious" to me.

Back to the topic... why wouldn't it be ok to let

	[[SomePage "title"]]

work?

/Christian