[pmwiki-users] Switching Hosts

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Mon Jan 16 10:10:57 CST 2006

Thanks for the very detailed response. I'll try your process. I have a
few minor points of clarification below.

H. Fox wrote:
> Do you have shell access?  If so, I'll take a shot at it.  (Even if
> not, you might be able to "translate" to what you can do with the
> tools you have available.)
I don't have shell access. I've sent a request to my host to enable it,
but in the meantime I'll try your process via ftp, etc.

> Upload the old site, in its entirety data and all, to the pmwiki/
> directory.  Better yet would be to zip the old site and unzip it to
> the new one.
I do not have shell access on my original Windows host. So a backup is
all I have, which has already caused some priv issues.

> First, assure all directories and files from the old site are readable
>
>    find -type d pmwiki | xargs chmod 755 *
>    find -type f pmwiki | xargs chmod 644 *
I assume this means all directories set to 755, and all files to 644.

> Now rename that directory so we can do a fresh, from-scratch installation.
>
>    mv pmwiki pmwiki.old
>
> Next do a fresh installation of the same PmWiki version your old site
> is running.
>
>    wget http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.1.beta14.tgz
>    tar -zxvf pmwiki-2.1.beta14.tgz
>    mv pmwiki-2.1.beta14 pmwiki
>    chmod 2777 pmwiki
>    #Visit the new wiki so it can create a wiki.d/ directory.
>
> Next you want to let PmWiki create the upload directory and group
> subdirectories.  Use a minimal local/config.php with your values for
> upload-related settings
>
>    #Upload an image file to each group that has uploads.
>    chmod 755 pmwiki
>
> Next copy your files over the new copy of pmwiki
>
>    cp -a pmwiki-old/. pmwiki
Does this overwrite existing files? I presume not as that would
overwrite the newly installed version.