[pmwiki-users] 404 Not Found

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 24 14:41:11 CST 2006

I'm (finally) progressing on the 404 Page Not Found capabilities,
as mentioned in http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00556 and one of
the items to be completed for the 2.1 release.  However, I have
a few questions and could use some opinions and advice...

In current versions of PmWiki, when someone navigates to a
non-existent page, they receive back a page that simply says
"Describe {$FullName} here."

I'm in the process of converting this so that the page will
display the contents of Site.PageNotFound, and return a 404
(Not Found) status code to the browser/robot.  Of course, this
will all be configurable and customizable to do whatever an
admin would like -- I'm looking for a good set of defaults.

So, my first set of questions:
  - What should be the contents of Site.PageNotFound?

  - When the page is displayed, should it be using the group, title,
    and skin of the requested (non-existent) page or should it use
    Site.PageNotFound ?

Beyond this, there is a question about what to do when a partial
or incomplete page name is requested.  For example, consider
something like http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/XYZ , where there's a
simple string given that doesn't have any sort of group qualifier.

Currently PmWiki defaults a url like the above as being a request
for the first available of {$DefaultGroup}.XYZ, XYZ.XYZ, and
XYZ.{$DefaultName}, and redirects the browser to the first of those
that exist.  If none of those exist, it then displays version of
Site.PageNotFound that asks the visitor to possible clarify the
request a bit further.

So, my question here is:  What should happen when an incomplete
page name is given and PmWiki is unable to resolve the name to
an existing page?