[pmwiki-users] 404 Not Found

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 25 16:29:14 CST 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 03:06:22PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> Another Question:  As administrators, how should we classify
> missing-page targets?  I can think of at least two important ways:
>
> * Visitor has edit privileges or not (important for a CMS-type installations).
> * Link is qualified or not.  That is, the link is group+page
> (?n=SomeGroup.MissingPage) or not (?n=Something).

I'm thinking that perhaps we need Site.PageNotFound and
Site.IncompletePageName .

>     Page not found.
>
> or, if the page has existed but has been deleted, produce a 410 (Gone) error:
>
>     Page no longer exists on this server.

I'm not sure how to keep track of deleted pages.  I think it'll
end up being a cookbook module that
    - when a page is deleted, adds it to a "deleted page" trail
    - when a page is requested that doesn't exist, the module changes the
      messages and status code if the page is in the deleted page trail