[pmwiki-users] pmwiki.org seems slow today btw

Sebastian Siedentopf schlaefer at macnews.de
Thu Jan 26 16:41:32 CST 2006

Am 26.01.2006 um 20:09 schrieb Patrick R. Michaud:

> Well, I found at least part of the problem today -- requests
> for the Cookbook.PostItNotes page on pmwiki.org were taking
> a *huge* amount of time to process.  As a result, whenever
> someone or a robot visited that page, it started eating up
> all of the CPU time.  (Worse, sometimes a person would hit
> the "stop" button and then re-issue the request, which meant
> that there were two or more of these running.)
>
> I'm not sure what was causing that page to take so long
> to render.  For the moment I've just disabled the recipe
> on pmwiki.org, I don't have a lot of time to spare to see
> if the newer version has similar problems.
>
> I do know that the recipe appears to be using PHP's
> in_array() function, which in my experience is really
> really really slow.

I'm very sorry to hear about that. Afair this was my first recipe and
I was just a php beginner back then. The script grows organicaly and
the code is a mess now and needs to be rewritten.

Beside this, I never heard of any slow down. A few StopWatch runs
show no problems either. You don't need to activate the recipt on
pmwiki again, I point to a test page in my own wiki.

But this brings up an other point: I do not upload recipts anymore,
because people expect that original author maintains the recipt
through all the PmWiki updates. This is understandable, but not
always possible. I for one miss some kind of Hack or Snippet section
where you can exchange code snippets or non production/recipt quality
code. Sometimes you have written a usefull function but no time or
interest to make a full featured stand-alone recipt out of it, but it
could be helpfull to some other who solves an equal problem.

Maybe an agressive "please pick up and recode" badget/categorie would
do the job. Or/and an explicit "this receipt is currently maintained
by xyz/none" to show if someone/who is the current maintainer.

Sebastian