[pmwiki-users] passwords

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 10:10:56 CST 2006

2006/1/27, Bronwyn Boltwood <arndis at gmail.com>:
> On 1/27/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:43:27PM -0800, Phil Seyer wrote:
> > >  In the documentation I have trouble telling when I need to substitue my own specific data into the command line.
> > >
> > Do you have any suggestions how we could better indicate where
> > substitutions should take place...?  Christian Ridderström suggests
> >
> >     $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('<edit_password>');
> >
> > my only concern is that people will start to assume that the angle
> > brackets are part of the syntax.
>
> A lot of the code fragments are used verbatim, so it's understandable
> that non-coders don't know what should be changed and what should not.
> Somebody would inevitably assume the angle brackets belonged there.
>
> The traditional method, in a book, would be to use a typographic
> convention.  Then I realized that most of the instances where we need
> the convention are in uninterpreted blocks, where we can't style the
> text.  So the best solution is probably to make it clear in the
> accompanying documentation which chunk should be changed and what to.

Why not defining one for PmWiki documentation?
Here's one inspirated from those provided with animal covered books
(May be a PmWiki.Convention candidate):
===8<---
(:title Conventions Used in This Documentation:)

The following typographical conventions are used in this documentation:

:''Italic'':\
Indicates new terms where they are defined, URLs, variables in text,
user-defined files and directories, commands, markups, file
extensions, filenames, directory or folder names, and UNC pathnames.

:@@Constant width@@:\
Indicates command-line computer output, code and markup examples, and
keyboard accelerators.

:'''@@Constant width bold@@''':\
Indicates user input in examples.

:''@@Constant width italic@@'':\
Indicates variables in examples. It is also used to indicate variables
or user-defined elements within italic text (such as pathnames or
filenames). For instance, in the code  ''\Windows\@@username@@'',
replace username with your name.
===8<---

Dom