[pmwiki-users] Password question

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Jul 9 17:54:07 CDT 2006

Hi all!

I'm using the newuser recipe to allow members to self-register
(available in FAST Membership), and then forward a bunch of user
information to myself by email, including their username and password.
 In so doing, I've noticed certain passwords came in blank, something
I believe is the result of invalid characters being entered in the
password string.

Can someone tell me what characters are acceptable and which are not?
(These are encrypted and stored in a htpasswd file).  I also want some
kind of check to ensure entered passwords are valid. I used the
following lines for checking usernames to make sure they were valid
pagenames, and need something similar for the passwords. Thanks in
advance for your help...

if($user!=PageVar(MakePageName($pagename, $user), '$Name')) {
    $MessagesFmt[] = $MembershipFmt['invalid'];
    HandleBrowse($pagename);
    exit;
  }

Cheers,