[pmwiki-users] How to generate a list of categories?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jul 19 15:44:08 CDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 01:28:25PM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> --- "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > However, if we want to avoid the creation of empty
> > category pages,
> > there's not currently a way to do that.  When
> > (:pagelist:)
> > becomes smart enough to be able to display missing
> > and orphan
> > pages, then it will be possible with something like:
> >
> >     (:pagelist select=all group=Category:)

> >     existing       display only pages that exist
> >     missing        display pages that don't exist
>
> Wouldn't most of that be simply a nice enhancement if
> link= were adjusted to handle wildcards first so that
> one could simply do:
>
>   (:pagelist link=Category* :)

While that's another way of doing it, having the ability
to select "existing", "missing", and "orphan" pages means
we can replace the existing (and outdated) refcount.php
script.  So, there's a reason for having those options
beyond this latest request (and that reason long pre-dates
the current request).

Also, selecting links from a wildcard list is a bit more
challenging (and slower) than the current algorithm for
selecting matches for a single page.    (In fact, the
way the pagelist link= algorithm works isn't by selecting
pages that match, but discarding those that do not.  So....)