[pmwiki-users] Let notify.php send the selfstanding "real thing" insead of a simple link?

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Tue Jul 25 11:55:47 CDT 2006

If it is of any help, I would add here the very reason that moved my
request: I would use notify.php as a backup engine (which might look
odd to somebody).

There is a part of my personal site which I use for my (quite humble)
business. Other people at my office adopted my site as a knowledge
base, and slowly it has become a key part of our working life.
As for notify.php, I'd like to have "the real thing" delivered and
stored into the email account, and not just the link. Reason for this
is that I plan to use it as an alternative backup method. I think that
if any/every updated page is sent to a gmail account, should my site
be out of service anytime and/or for whatever reason, my collegues and
friends can still get hold of any page and its content within seconds,
also helped by the excellent search engine within gmail. Also, nobody
stops us from having the pages sent to multiple [g]mail accounts,
given the good an flexible notify.php possibilities.

I agree that this is a "cheap" way to handle a backup, but here I mean
"cheap" as "easy" "practical" and "positive":
a) it does *not* prevent us from planning "regular" backups, the
traditional way.
b) what if the site has problem while I'm on a 10 days trekking on the
Alps? Who will take care of the "lost" pages? What will may collegues
do? If the whole site contents exists, up to date, within a gmail
account, the problem is solved.
c) emails can also be automatically/regularly dowloaded on local
machines, so that no internet failure will ever hinder/stop our daily
activity.

Luigi

P.S. The part of my site for which I would activate such a backup
engine is a password-protected group only. It receives an average of
about 150-200 page update every day: this roughly equals the amount of
spam that enters daily my gmail account; for this reason I wouldn't
fear to overload it.
Instead, would there be any issue on the site/server side?