[pmwiki-users] Newbie Q. Creating my own pages (am I being silly?)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jun 1 00:05:10 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:00:48AM -0400, locc2 wrote:
> So I'm new to this....
>
> I have PMWiki downloaded and installed on my web server. I've followed
> the config and basic set-up instructions. I have a working wiki (hurray!).
>
> BUT what I have is the PMwiki documentation and startup pages - which I
> can edit and add to etc. I can add new pages.  I can add groups. But I'm
> missing (ie not understanding) how I start a new 'blank' wiki ! Surely I
> don't delete and amend all the PMWiki stuff that's already there. Please
> could somebody let me know how I start off a nice new empty blank wiki.

Most people tend to leave the PmWiki documentation in place
(it doesn't hurt to have it there).  But if you really want a
completely blank "from scratch" wiki that doesn't include
PmWiki's default documentation pages, then

1.  Create a mywikilib.d/ directory to hold the Site pages.
2.  Copy the Site.* files from wikilib.d/ into mywikilib.d/ .
3.  In local/config.php, set

       $WikiLibDirs = array(&$WikiDir,
                            new PageStore('$FarmD/mywikilib.d/{$FullName}');

This tells PmWiki to use the mywikilib.d/ directory instead of
wikilib.d/ .

(One could remove the non-Site pages from wikilib.d/, but they'll
be restored again upon upgrading so it's easier to do the above
steps instead.)

Hope this helps,