[pmwiki-users] Deprecated/obsoltete (Was: Edit preview and page view can)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jun 2 16:55:22 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 10:16:35PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> >Actually, I'm wondering if Cookbook.AuthUser simply needs to be
> >deleted.
>
> In a case like this, it'd be nice if we could mark a page as either
> obsolete or depreceated. If we agree on a convention for marking a page in
> this way (it can be as simple as a convention that says that
> 	(:comment obsolete:)
> means obsolete, and
> 	(:comment depreceated:)
> means depreceated.

Categories is definitely better than text here.
[[!Obsolete]] comes to mind.

> Then we can configure pagelist/search to automaically exclude obsolete
> pages, and we should hopefully also be able to make it list depreceated
> pages with some special tag - so that the reader of the list knows that
> the page in question is depreceated.

That part isn't quite so easy -- at least, not without impacting
others' expectations of PmWiki from looking at the pmwiki.org site.

> As for how to actually mark a page, I think it'd probably be better to
> introduce special directives for this purpose.

I don't want pmwiki.org (or PmWiki) to be cluttered with lots of
special-purpose directives or markup; it goes against the
PmWikiPhilosophy.  If prefer to do things by convention within
the existing markup, when possible.  The time to enshrine something
as a directive is when we know it's relatively generic and likely
to be used by many sites to solve a variety of tasks.