[pmwiki-users] help with floating table in NotSoSimple Skin

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jun 7 22:59:58 CDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 06:56:20PM -0400, Robby Van Sciver wrote:
> I need some help getting a table to float right properly.  I'm using
> the NotSoSimple skin.
> I'm trying to copy wikipedia's album page to my site.
>
> So:
> my page: http://www.jewelwiki.com/pmwiki.php?n=Albums.PiecesOfYou
> wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieces_Of_You

The NotSoSimple skin's css forces  *all* tables to have
margin-left and margin-right values of "auto".  Since CSS
overrides the HTML attributes in the <table> tag, the
margin-left and margin-right values are overriding the value
of the 'width' attribute, and the table's margins are set
to automatically expand to the full width of the cell.  Thus
it doesn't appear to float because there's no room for
anything on the left.

This would seem to be a bug in the NotSoSimple skin's CSS,
it shouldn't dictate all tables to be 100% width the way it
does.  The line that is the culprit is the one that reads

    table { border-collapse: collapse; margin: 12px auto; }

I think it should be removed, or else the specification should
change to refer to only a very specific table.  (I'm not sure
what it's supposed to affect.)