[pmwiki-users] email notification of page changes (watchlists)

Marc Cooper gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue Jun 13 02:56:59 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud said...
> On pmwiki.org I now have a preliminary implementation of edit
> notifications via email.  These allow the creation of custom
> "watch lists", with notification emails sent in response to
> modifications of pages of interest (i.e., "watchlists").
>
> This feature is currently enabled on pmwiki.org, for those who would
> like to experiment with the feature or start watching pmwiki pages.
>
> Watch lists are configured via the Site.NotifyList page.
> (For those who want to experiment with this on pmwiki.org, the
> password for Site.NotifyList is "quick".) The most basic entry
> in the NotifyList page sends email for any page that changes
> on the site:
>
>     notify=alice at example.com
>
> This causes alice at example.com to start receiving email messages
> with lists of pages that have been modified.  Of course, Alice
> probably doesn't want to receive a separate message for every
> edit that takes place, so multiple edits are batched together
> according to a 'squelch' setting (similar to the way MailPosts
> works now).  The squelch setting indicates the minimum
> number of seconds that must elapse after each notify message
> before another is sent.   PmWiki's default squelch is
> 10800 seconds (3 hours), so after Alice receives a
> notification email, any edits that take place during the
> next three hours will be batched together and then sent
> as a single message.
>
> Alice can change the squelch parameter for her messages.  To
> receive at most one notify message per day, Alice would use
>
>     notify=alice at example.com squelch=86400
>
> What if we have someone who wants to watch only a certain set of
> pages?  There are several ways to do this.  First, we can specify
> a trail with pages to be watched:
>
>     notify=bob at example.com trail=Profiles.Bob
>
> This sends Bob email notifications only for pages listed in the
> trail at Profiles.Bob.  This makes it easy for Bob to adjust the
> pages he's interested in by simply editing the Profiles.Bob page.
>
> This also means a wiki administrator can control who is allowed
> to receive notifications (by restricting editing of the Site.NotifyList
> page), while still allowing non-administrators to maintain custom
> watch list trails.
>
> Any trail will work, thus to keep track of changes to the PmWiki
> documentation:
>
>     notify=charles at example.com trail=PmWiki.DocumentationIndex
>
> One can also use the "group=", "name=", and "link=" options to
> specify watch lists by group (wildcarded), name (wildcarded), or
> target link:
>
>     ##   watch pages in Cookbook, PmWiki, and PITS:
>     notify=dave at example.com group=Cookbook,PmWiki,PITS
>
>     ##   watch changes to pages in the Skins category
>     notify=edward at example.com link=Category.Skins
>
> Multiple email addresses may be specified in the notify line...
>
>     ##   tell admin and myboss about all changes
>     notify=admin at example.com,myboss at company.com

> [...]

(I've reposted the whole of Pm's original post, since this thread is
currently inactive.)

The new notify function is a terrific start. Now, of course, comes the
wish-list. First, a few questions:

* Is it possible to 'watch' a Group via the user's profile page? If so,
what is the syntax.

I know that this can be done via Site.NotifyList, but, in my case, this
page will not be editable by users; it will simply have an entry for
each user of the form:

   notify=marc at blah.com trail=Profiles.Marc

* Is it possible to adjust a user's squelch via their profile page?

* Is there a plan for a 'watch this page' action? Or is this better done
through a recipe?

--
Best,
Marc