[pmwiki-users] Pageindex and distributed documentation (Was Strange pagelist behaviour)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jun 15 13:23:34 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 01:15:32PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2006-06-15  12:00 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >Or another possibility could be to simply check the
> >timestamps of those pages that are being scanned anyway,
> >and then invalidate the entire index if *any*
> >inconsistency in the timestamps or index is detected.
>
> A few more semi-flakey ideas:
>
> - check the file system time of Site.AllRecentChanges against .pagelist
> - check the file system time of .flock against .pagelist
> - check the file system time of /wiki.d against .pagelist

All of these would just tell us when any new page is created
or edited.  We don't want to rebuild the entire .pageindex
every time a page is edited or saved -- it takes way too long
(which is why PmWiki does it incrementally over a number of
searches and/or edits).

HOWEVER!  The consistency check doesn't take "way too long" --
it's pretty short, all things considered.  While I don't
want to perform an index timestamp check on every search or
pagelist, it's probably not a problem to do one whenever a
page is being saved.  It could also be performed whenever
the system detects that something has happened outside of the
normal edit cycle -- for example, when a script or local
customization file is more recent than the current pageindex.
That would catch issues of upgrading.